Thursday 23 July 2009

The grass-eating boys of Japan

My ex teacher gave me an interesting article.

It's about "Sousyoku Danshi".According to the article, a pop culture columnist defines it as herbivore: a Japanese man who saves money, shuns sex, has a penchant for nice clothes, and prefers a quieter, less competitive life style.

Besides these, they tend to be close to their mothers[I think it's not necessarily so], prefer platonic relationships with female friends, have fewer career ambitions.
It's true, it is happening in Japan now.
I think it must be a part of new culture and we don't need to hesitate to accept it , although I don't want to be.

The only thing I'm worried about, however, is a lack of competition in the future.

I think some reasons are obvious.
One of interesting reasons is a advancement in the social status of women.
As time goes by, male chauvinism seems to be disappearing.

If young Japanese men are called "herbivore", young Japanese women who bring home the bacon might be called "carnivorous girls or women" hahahaha

The time may come when carnivorous girls or women will feed on herbivore boys or men.

No comments:

Post a Comment